Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best New Underwater Trends of 2009...

Ok, not really. That would be ridiculous, though possibly hilarious. I did think, however, that I would give a go at listing my favorite albums of 2009 (of the ones I have listened to, of course). Without further ado, my top 10, counting down:

10. Wilco (the Album) - Wilco
Notable songs include One Wing, Bull Black Nova, and Wilco (the Song)

9. Two Suns - Bat for Lashes
Notable songs include Daniel, Siren Song, and Traveling Woman
Also, Daniel may be the best song of the year--check it out here

8. Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack - Karen O and the Kids
Notable songs include All is Love, Rumpus, and Heads Up

7. It's Blitz! - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Notable songs include Hysteric, Runaway, and Zero
*For my less attentive readers, both 7 and 8 acknowledge the huge splash Karen O (and her band the Yeah Yeah Yeahs) have made on the music scene this year.

6. Sainthood - Tegan and Sara
Notable songs include Hell, The Cure, and The Ocean

5. The Hazards of Love - The Decemberists
This album is a concept album--listen to the whole thing many times through.

4. Middle Cyclone - Neko Case
Notable songs include This Tornado Loves You, I'm and Animal, and Magpie to the Morning

3. I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
Notable songs include I and Love and You, Laundry Room, and Tin Man

2. Wait for Me - Moby
Notable songs include Shot in the Back of the Head, Mistake, and Jltf 1

1. Ordinary Riches - Company of Thieves
Notable songs include In Passing, Under the Umbrella, The Fire Song, and Quiet on the Front
I debated putting this album in the top spot, but I am a sucker for bands with incredible debut albums. And this album is incredible. Genevieve's voice is ridiculously good and the guitar is phenomenal. Trample people at Best Buy, rush to amazon mp3, or pay an obscene amount at Barnes & Noble--I don't care how you do it, just get this album.

1 comment:

LSDiesel said...

A solid list my friend. I was going to make a 'best of 2009' blog post, but now you've made me go and do it.

Company of Thieves and Moby FTW!!!