Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer Tuneskis

With The Arcade Fire's Suburbs coming out tomorrow, I will be adding another fantastic album to my summer listening list. But here's some of the music that's defined my summer thus far in ascending order of importance:

Ray LaMontagne. All three of his albums. But some of the tunes off Gossip in the Grain, such as A Falling Through and I Still Care for You have helped me through quite a few rough patches.

Stars. One of those not-necessarily-exceptional bands that when listened to at just the right time hit the spot. A super melodramatic band. Their new album, The Five Ghosts, is no Set Yourself on Fire or In Our Bedroom After the War, but it is still a solid record.

MGMT. As a fan of more 'obscure' electronic music (i.e. Goldfrapp, Fever Ray, and LCD Soundsystem to name a few), I was very late in hopping on this bandwagon. But it was well worth it. For a dance record, get Oracular Spectacular. For a musically diverse and rich album, get Congratulations.

Mumford & Sons. An absolutely phenomenal debut album. In the running for best album of the year. Incredible banjo/folk music to accompany top-notch lyrics. Little Lion Man is the perfect song to listen to while pissed, while the incredible Christian eschatological hope offered in After the Storm has comforted me like nothing else.

The Gaslight Anthem. Just see my previous blog post. Such a talented band.

No comments: