Saturday, September 4, 2010

Upwind is the best place...

...to roll and proceed to smoke a joint. especially when you're in a family-oriented park adjacent to an elementary school.

I live in a sweet neighborhood near an elementary school and its adjacent playground (Longwood playground). See here. Having stumbled upon the absolutely amazing Brookline Booksmith earlier today, I brought my freshly purchased used copy of Tobias Wolff's well-respected memoir, This Boy's Life, down to the playground to read. But when you read a memoir you fall into the blissful mindset that all of life can be put into humorous, nearly factual writing. So you start people-watching and it can be a rather joyous or peculiar thing.

So on the joyous side of things, a father brought his little girl down to the park with a new, training-wheels free bike. The young girl, at first, could barely pedal with one foot before quickly putting down both feet so as not to fall over. By the time I left, she was riding confidently for long strips on the quarter-mile perimeter of the park.

Speaking of leaving, some young teens decided to choose a bench slightly uphill and upwind of the entire park and...light up. Failing, perhaps, in their drug-addled mind to realize that the odors will drift for a ways. Preferring reading in my room to reading to the odors of marijuana, I packed up and headed home. But walking through the playground towards my home, I felt bad for all the young children playing with their parents, because the odor was so strong. Teenagers can be so dumb.

No comments: