Sunday, April 24, 2011

He to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood

Happy Easter!

I, for one, walked out of Gordon Hugenburger's sermon at Park Street this morning a bit disappointed. I suppose it's because what I wanted was a sermon scratching through the layers of dragon scales and reaching my heart. He preached a solid sermon on the apologetic bases for why Christ actually physically died and I know the man next to me loved it. But I think (my spiritual man crush) CJ Mahaney puts it best when he says...

"It's possible for us to study the resurrection technically, to affirm the resurrection theologically, and to argue for the resurrection historically and yet fail to apply the resurrection to our hearts, particularly in relation to death."

I encourage you to watch/listen to this sermon, even if you just put it on in the background.

Before leaving you, two other CJ quotes that resonated with me:

"Death is God's determination to limit our arrogance."

"The resurrection prepares us for death by assuring us that what awaits us on the other side of death is not eternal judgment and condemnation, but instead eternal life. Because the Savior went before us into death, we have no reason to fear death. And because He died as a substitute for sinners like you and me, satisfying the wrath of God, we have been forgiven of our many sins. And because He was raised from the dead, we will be raised as well."

Amen.

No comments: