Friday, June 24, 2011

Bold I Approach

In my Bible study, we're working through a study on prayer called Bold I approach. Admittedly, I thought it was Bold-Roman Numeral I-Approach. It's Bold, I Approach. They seriously need a comma. But I'm reading through the third book in what is one of the best trilogies ever written, Michael Horton's Christless Christianity, The Gospel-Driven Life, and The Gospel Commission. If there's one word I could choose to sum up why I am appreciative for Michael Horton, it's for his boldness. Both in arguing against what the Gospel is not and in arguing for what it is. While Christless Christianity (which is so, so worth reading) provides a much-needed critique of Christianity in America, The Gospel-Driven Life offers the alternative, the solution, to many of those issues. As I read The Gospel Commission, I am challenged in a gut-wrenching way as I see what we are called to do in this time between Christ's first coming and His return. So many passages have weighed on my heart thus far, but I thought I'd share this one, as he sums things up so clearly:

"The mere fact that we live in a religiously pluralistic society today creates new pressures to soften the message, to remove its offense, and to present it as helpful for everybody rather than saving for those who believe.
In recent years, different views regarding the destiny of the unevangelized have been grouped under three classifications: pluralism, which holds that all paths lead to God; inclusivism, which teaches that although Christ is the only Savior, explicit faith in Christ is not ordinarily necessary for salvation; and exclusivism, which maintains that ordinarily there is no salvation apart from hearing and believing in Jesus Christ.
I am not a fan of these terms. Although I believe that the third view is consistently and clearly taught in Scripture, calling it "exclusive" stacks the deck against it. God loves the world and sent his Son so that whoever believes in him has eternal life (John 3:16). God includes in Christ a vast number from every nation who would have excluded themselves if it were not for God's sovereign, gracious intervention. It hardly seems appropriate to denigrate this announcement with the epithet "exclusive.""
-Michael Horton, The Gospel Commission

No comments: