Monday, July 11, 2011

Just like they took away the Polaroid picture

They're gonna take away everything that means something.
Today I think I saw ten thousand cellphones
But not one decent conversation.
-Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, Write Me a Letter

One of the frustrations of Newport Folk Festival now that the printable schedule is out is making the tough decisions of Emmylou Harris or M. Ward (or the Civil Wars), Gillian Welch or Tegan and Sara, etc. But one of the perks is figuring out what to see when there are no scheduling conflicts. Hence, over the weekend I checked out The Head and The Heart, with whom I am quite impressed. Rivers & Roads is one of the most gorgeous arrangements I've heard in a while. And while their lyrics need work, the driving force of the piano and Charity's violin make this young band one I'm considerably looking forward to seeing (and dancing to).

However, today my ears feasted on another band from the Pacific Northwest. Namely, Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside, and I am blown away. Drawing on inspirations such as Tom Waits and Cat Power, the band is extremely talented, ranging from ragtime to jazz to blues, rocking a mean upright base and a vast array of other instruments the whole way through. But the carrying power rests in Ford's unrestrained voice. In its rawness, it jerks you out of your seat and takes you down a wonderful road. I urge you to buy their album, Dirty Radio, as it's easily one of the best I've heard in a while. And if you need convincing, check out this video for Cage (where Ford's use of the megaphone is a direct shout-out to Waits' Chocolate Jesus).


No comments: