Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Church and Ed Stetzer = Awesome.


So I just finished reading Planting Missional Churches by Ed Stetzer. It was one of the most detailed books I've ever read, but is a wonderful, God-inspired resource for church planters everywhere (as well as those who care about church planting). Ed lays out many of the details behind planting a church as well as Biblical qualifications for leaders and whatnot. But most importantly, a church should reach people in culture while being Biblically sound. In addition, church planters should rely most heavily on Jesus and the gospel as the power behind their church.

However, one of the things which the Lord laid on my heart while reading this book is the necessity of evangelism in every Christian's life (particularly evangelism through developing relationships). The Great Commission has always made me uncomfortable and I think this is why: evangelism is the hardest practice for me to put in my life as a Christian. What I mean to say is that while I can humbly come before God in prayer and serve through actions and whatnot, it's so hard for me to seek out building relationships with others (particularly non-Christians) that eventually lead to evangelism (and do NOT end there). But this is something that is essential for church planting. As Ed Stetzer puts it, "it's easier to start a church by drawing Christians from other churches than to win new disciples from the community." But church plants should be seeking to draw most of their members from new converts. So interesting, yet so scripturally relevant. Anyways, I know I barely scratched the surface, but those are just my (initial) thoughts.

Psalm 127:1 - Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.

No comments: