Thursday, July 2, 2009

Moby: to what do I owe this honor?

So, as some may recall, Moby used to be my favorite musical artist. I was as crazy about Moby as a porker on a harley is crazy for a Mickey-Dees double cheeseburger. Or, perhaps more appealing and more accurate, as crazy about Moby as a hawk is about cottage cheese. Or, to avoid the food analogies, as emo kids are about tight pants.

However, due to his super-opinionated nature and the fact that last night wore off after a while as a semi-forgettable album, I kind of gave up on Moby. Replacing the whole in my heart for Moby were artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Cat Power, and most recently Amanda Palmer (whose twitter posts are hilarious). However, both Paste Magazine and npr labeled Moby's newest, Wait for Me, as his best in 10 years (since Play). And a good friend told me that he completely agrees. So I'm giving it a shot--especially since it was only $3.99 on Amazon. Maybe for some of you (such as those who made the paper mache head of moby for me), your hope in my love for Moby will be restored.

On another note, I'm reading Mark Driscoll's most recent, entitled Religion Saves and Nine Other Misconceptions. I highly recommend it. In answering nine popular questions his "web viewers" had, Driscoll is both Biblical and inspiring. He can write on such topics as Birth Control and Humor in sermons that most Christians don't even think about (but should). And he writes in such a clear, concise, and most-importantly Biblically-inspired manner. So pick yourselves up a copy and start reading it!

No comments: