Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kingdom Work and Common Grace

"For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." -Romans 14:23 (ESV)

"Non-Christians do not do "kingdom work." The phrase "kingdom work" is confusing and nonbiblical and probably should be jettisoned, but even if we grant its use, we should at least be agreed that it cannot be applied to good things that non-Christians do. When a non-Christian does a good deed, it is most certainly good (at a certain level), and it is an instance of God's common, evil-restraining grace on all mankind. It is a singular kindness of God that human beings are not as bad as we could be. But that those good works are "good" is all we can say about them. They are not "kingdom work" because they are not done in the name of the King (see Rom. 14:23b). C. S. Lewis was wrong. You simply can't spend a lifetime serving Tash (or even yourself!) and expect Aslan to be happy about it." -From the book I'm currently reading

What are y'allz thoughts on this? My leisurely Saturday morn gave me time to read, but reading has me puzzling over what the author says here. My gut reaction is to theologically agree, while going further. Even if all good works not proceeding from faith is sin, isn't the Bible full of instances of sinful actions being used for God's glory? Then I apply these thoughts to my department and all the work being done therein by non-Christians. Will not Christ use this for His glory? What are your thoughts on this topic, I'm still puzzling?

On a light note, I can't stop listening to this song by Ana Tijoux. so good.

3 comments:

Sam and Katelyn said...

Even though I don't have the same problem with the phrase "kingdom work" that the author does, I agree that a non-Christian, while doing plenty of good things, cannot do "kingdom work." I would however say that I don't think Paul is saying that every seemingly good thing an unbeliever does is ultimately not good. I think he is saying that all things that an unbeliever does is ultimately counted as sin because it is not done in obedience to God. The beautiful thing is that God is so good and so sovereign that in his common grace he can and will use all people-believer and unbeliever-for good, truth, and even in the advancing of his kingdom. A discovery made by an unbelieving scientist can inadvertently give glory to the Creator. Works of mercy and justice done by an unbelieving social worker can, in many ways, inadvertently point towards the ultimate mercy and justice that Christ will bring at his return. So, essentially, I agree with you. However, I'm happy to be corrected in any way.

Sam and Katelyn said...

And even though those things are not done in his name and for his glory, I would say that God is in fact glorified. And God is happy when he is glorified.

Sam and Katelyn said...

Just coming back to my earlier comment. I'm still not totally sure where I land, but I may want to go back a little on what I said, per John Frame's reasoning:

"What is a good work? Reformed theologians have addressed this question in response to the problem of the so-called virtuous pagan. Reformed theology teaches that human beings are by nature totally depraved. This means, not that they are as bad as they could be, but that it is impossible for them to please God in any of their thoughts, words, or deeds (Rom. 8:8). Apart from grace, none of us can do anything good in the sign of God. Yet all around us we see non-Christians who seem to be doing good works: they love their families, wor hard at their jobs, contribute to the needs of the poor, and show kindness to their neighbors. It seems that these people are virtuous apart from Christ. Reformed theology, however, questions such virtue. It acknowledges that unbelievers often contribute to the betterment of society. These contributions are called civic righteousness. Their civic righteousness does not please God, however, because it is altogether devoid of three crucial characteristics: [(1) a heart purified by faith, (2) obedience to God's Word, and (3) the right end, the glory of God]" (Doctrine of the Christian Life, 27-28).

So I guess I would say that God is not pleased with the good works themselves on the part of the unbeliever, but in a way he is pleased with himself--his own common grace in sustaining/restraining society through sovereignly bringing about this kind of civic righteousness.